Monday, September 13, 2010

Don't I care enough?

I'm sitting here with my glass of wine and not worrying about what I've been eating or how little exercies I've done lately. I'm incredibly overweight (clinically severely obese to be precise). Why don't I care enough to actually lose some weight? I KNOW that my chances of having a baby would be increased if I actually got closer to a healthier weight. Why can't I just make myself lose weight?

I've always been overweight and I first visited weight watchers with my mum when I was 13. I lost almost 10kg and was incredibly proud of myself. A year later I'd put it all back on and a little more. Ever since then I've been yo-yo dieting and have tired just about every weight loss program there is. I've never lost enough to actually feel like it was completely worthwhile. It takes so long and then I plateau and lose all my inspiration. Now it feels like I have so much to lose that I could never possibly achieve it. My gorgeous DH says he loves me just the way I am (and he really means it I think) so not much pushing coming from there. My FS, GP and obs have all said that it wouldn't hurt to lose some weight, but they have all said they don't think my weight has contributed to my infertility issues or caused my miscarriages. I'm getting fatter every year. It has to stop!!! I don't know what to do. :-(

4 comments:

  1. Weight is especially difficult with IVF. I was a comfortable weight for me and quite a fit bushwalker when I started IVF. I'm now over 30 kgs heavier, always exhausted, not happy with my health at all. I feel totally destroyed by IVF. In so many ways I'm no longer the person I was, and I haven't become the mother I hoped I'd be either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry yesterday's comment was such a downer - but I am/was down.

    Would you want to try to do something together? I'm not sure how - just an idea I had. I once was with Weight Watchers, which I actually found really good. But if you are or might be pregnant they don't want you. One of the things that was good about it was checking in weekly - it would help me think before I ate or decided not to exercise. Maybe we could check in with each other weekly and honestly say what we did/didn't do that was healthy during the week? Only a suggestion. I just thought if we were both having the same problem maybe we could give each other support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, I really feel for you. I don't have that problem (yet) but I can imagine how hard it would be to lose weight while doing IVF. I have totally neglected my fitness since I started and it seems that all my jeans just keep shrinking ;-). I comfort eat, and I justify it by telling myself that I have "more important" things to worry about than my weight. It must be so hard to find the emotional and physical energy to actually lose weight whilst going through IVF. Wishing you all the best. Please keep us updated...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I would love to have a weekly check in with you. Let's do it! As you can tell, I was/am having a bit of a downer too, so don't apologise for anything in your post.

    And yep, sometimes it is easy to believe that there are "more important" things to worry about than my weight, but I know I would be so much happier and healthier if I did worry and do something about it.

    Where oh where is that motivation, must have lost it along the way somewhere...

    ReplyDelete