Friday, December 31, 2010

First Obstetrician appointment

Today marked another milestone, my first obs appointment for a healthy-so-far pregnancy. It was a reasonably quick appointment. He did a very quick scan, but little bub wasn't very visible through my copious layers of fat. But we did see a very snowy image and we could see the beating heart, which was pounding away at 170bpm. The image was too crappy to do a length measurement.

We also talked about downs syndrome testing and how to decide whether to go ahead with the testing or not (we're going to). Since I'm over 35 (I'm 36), the risk is increased, but still not terribly bad. We talked about which hospital I will go to and how often I will see him throughout my pregnancy. He gave me a bunch of information sheets and gave me the forms for routine blood testing. That was about it! I was expecting him to weigh me and talk about weight issues (I am hugely overweight), but he didn't mention it at all. One of the info sheets is about obesity and related pregnancy risks though and it is a bit scary.

So my next appointment with him is in 3 weeks. After that appointments will be monthly.

4 comments:

  1. Wahooo. I'm so damn happy for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I have my second appointment with my midwife on the 14th Jan :-) Makes it feel real huh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was with him he didn't weigh me either. I liked that about him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy your pregnancy is going so well!!! Hopefully it's beginning to feel real. I'm so excited that you have some photos of your little bean. No doubt your whole family are so excited!!! Jan x

    ReplyDelete